Monday 21 July 2014

Charmout Challenge 5 July (Dorset)

Colin Bricher reported on the Charmout Challenge which he completed on 5th July...

"When one enters a fell race, one expects hills and rough terrain. However optional extras include steps, stiles and sheep-poo. For some years, I have struggled getting over stiles but it is something I can live with. For probably a similar length of time I have been unable run up or down steps: it is a bit of a nuisance going up, but not bad: however it is a great handicap going down as I have to walk instead of run.

It is over three years since I have done a fell race or raced over 7½ miles so I was taking on a bit tackling a 8 mile category B race. Uphill start before descending to the river and making the long climb up Stonebarrow Lane. I was coping for 4½ miles and reaching the summit, Golden Cap at 600' the highest point on the south coast. Striding down, my foot struck a sheep poo and I slid, landed on my side and nearly turned my ankle over. My quads had not tightened very much, but the jarring sped the process up and I was not losing too much ground. Itting the last mile downhill. Aagh steps, too many people came past. I finished really tired, unsure how much was the race and how much the fall."

224 Colin Bricher 1:11:07

No comments:

Post a Comment