Thursday 16 September 2010

Keith's Budapest Tri Report

A little while ago you may remember that NRR donated funds to member Keith Jellyman to go towards equipment for his triathlon ventures. Here is Keith's latest update on his success...

All home and dry now. The sprint race which I was in was a 750m swim, 20k bike and a flat out 5k mad sprint along the embankment of the Danube, and then across one of the main bridges over into the finish.

What a race despite the truly abysmal weather conditions. Torrential rain almost everyday! I completed in a time of 1:09:18, which puts me 29th in my age category out of 46, and around 200 or something out of 500 overall. The winner came in on a time of 58:36. Pleased with my time definitely although I should really have been a couple of minutes faster on the run, but my stomach was playing up. I think I drank too much water on the bike haha never mind. Hopefully next year I can try and get my time below 1:05, certainly some time to be knocked off from my swim too.

What can I say briefly, well my parents and I arrived down at the race centre at 5:30am when it was still dark and tipping it down. My wave started off at 7:15. Talk about a flying start made by many, couldn't believe it, within the first few seconds I was already a couple of metres behind. The swim otherwise was a loop pretty much of a small harbour. Then it was a mad dash up a little beach to the transition, which might as well have been a bog pretty much.

Bike leg I felt I was flying, new bike working a treat. The course was dead pan flat, so it was a true test of speed. I think I maintained about 24mph average, so pleased to bits.

The run was probably the most thrilling part, although I could have done without the bloated stomach. An almost flat out sprint all the way up the embankment, quite gruelling due to the company. It was a Mexican looking chap in front leading the way, and hot on my tail another GB athlete, and hot on his tail a pesky Irish individual. A real good race all the way up, but sadly pipped at the post, but still very pleased, but less water next time!

Also one medal and fourth place was picked up by the Northants Tri Club. Stacey Penn got a bronze in her age group with a time of 1:08:08, and Paul Jennings came in fourth in his with a time of 1:04:05.

Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment